Skip to main content

Two Rock Valley 200km

When the idea of using the Jittery Jaunt permanent at the basis of a new SF Randonneurs brevet route first began, it was July and the grasses on the hillsides of the Two Rock Valley, and all other valleys were dry, and more brown than anything else. When the idea became fixed and a place on the 2010 calendar was being considered, it was September and the only clouds expected on any horizon were those of the overnight the fog of the marine layer. Some aspects of the route remain regardless of the time of year: headwinds through the Two Rock Valley, a landscape dominated by rollers from Petaluma all the way back to Nicasio. On February 6th, however, the winter rains that had fallen throughout January, and the winter rain that was falling on us as we left Crissy Field had changed and was still changing this route in a number of ways.

In order to make route measure up to the 200km standard, the Golden Gate Bridge was only now an intermediate point on the route and not the starting location, as is tradition with the SF Randonneurs core SR series. More than eighty riders gathered in the gloom near Crissy Field to sign in, meet old riding friends, and finish the task of preparing their bike and themselves for the ride ahead, a task just a little bit more complicated owing to the falling rain. When the route was submitted to RUSA for approval, the start location had a nice, large, and mostly unused parking lot where volunteers could work out of the back a station wagon. A few weeks before the brevet, cyclone fencing and a green privacy screen surrounded the lot, and now we were crammed on to the sidewalk underneath Doyle Drive. One wag suggested it looked less like a brevet start control and more like the location for a drug buy. Perhaps, but it served it's purpose for that morning at 07:00 the riders were off.

Unlike other SFR brevets, riders straggled away from the start control, and I was one of the stragglers furthest toward the back. Bruce B. waited for me near the Bridge and we crossed over to Marin as the rain was seemingly deciding whether to fall harder or quit. Going downhill into Sausalito, we passed the first casualties of mechanical issues as two riders bent over the task of replacing a blown inner tube. Bruce and I managed to catch up to a number of riders as we left Sausalito and crossed Bothin Marsh Preserve on our way to the first climb of the ride. While indecision seemed to be the rule for the rain, on my part I finally stopped to put on my rain jacket at the top of the Camino Alto climb. Even a light rain, if consistent, will get one soaked. The trip down hill at this point isn't technical but does offer reason to be alert where driveways and departing cars can surprise a rider rounding a curve at speed.

The trip north through Lower Marin is full of stop signs and traffic lights, turns and traffic and progress can never be quick, so it is with a feeling of some relief that we reach the far city limits of Fairfax, where open country side and White's Hill begin. I managed to put some distance on Bruce so I stopped at the top of the hill to clean my glasses and then descend into the San Geronimo Valley. Passing a few of the rides that passed me when I stopped, I reached the turn on Nicasio Valley Road where Dixon Ridge separates the two valleys. Shortly after the crest, I caught up to Bruce B. and we passed first through Nicasio and then by the Nicasio Reservoir. The climb up the southern flanks of Hicks Mountain separated us again and I rode alone until catching Bruce M. just outside of Petaluma where after a well enjoyed break, the rain began again, though this time falling harder than it had all morning. Bruce M. and I chose the first option for control locations where I bought chocolate milk (proof of a benign and loving creator), salted cashews and AAA batteries, the last item as insurance against a late return to SF. Stopping to find Bruce B. stopped at the Peets, I got behind Bruce M. and left town once again riding solo, though I caught Bruce M. not far outside of town.

Compared to the route from Fairfax to Petaluma, the terrain west of Petaluma has quieted down considerably and is free of the climbs up and out, and dashs down and into the canyons crossed during mid-morning. The rain had stopped and as if only to break up the clearing patter, returned only once and then only shortly on our way to Valley Ford. During the crossing of the Two Rock Valley, I could neither catch the rider who stayed a half mile ahead of me, nor could I be caught by the rider a half mile behind, and this pattern was only broken up when Matthew F. appeared from a cluster of Eucalyptus trees on the north side of the road. Matthew provided a faster wheel to chase and we both did catch that rider ahead, but I had to fall back just after reaching Highway One. There was quite a crowd of riders waiting at the Valley Ford Market so I chose a cup of chowder for lunch along with yet another chocolate milk. Mojo was there at the store but was preparing to leave only as I arrived, but we chatted briefly about all the flat tires we both had on a rainy SFR 300km in 2007.

I had told Bruce B. I'd see him in Valley Ford, but only word of his progress arrived before I left. While the sun shone and warmed those of us in the lee of the Market building, the north side where our bikes were was exposed to the wind and while packing things away I began to get the shivers. I left town then once again on my own, though minutes after and minutes before groups of other riders. We'd pass each other on the way to and through Tomales and chase each other along the always windy leg next to School House Creek. Gabe, John, Bryan, Chris and Ricardo stayed just ahead of me until the climb away from the creek and then I only briefly caught them and had to fall back into chasing mode. Along came Jack and I hung on his wheel as he upped his pace through Marshall where a prolonged flat stretch let us catch our breath before the coastal rollers resumed. Just as we caught Gabe's group once again, Jack slowed and dropped off the back. Thanks to his pull, though I was able to adjust to the faster pace and I chatted with Gabe and John as we neared Pt. Reyes Station. On the worker's ride the week before, I was reminded of the peanut butter blondies at the Bovine Bakery and my monomania for that treat increased as we closed in on town. Fate is often cruel and I could only take one bite before my appetite disappaeared. No matter, I felt pretty good, great if you compare it to my status at this point one week before. Jack hadn't shown up in Pt. Reyes before I left and Gabe's group had found a couch and coffee so they were staying for a bit. I'd no doubt find more riders along the route around the reservoir and back toward Fairfax.

It wasn't until I reached Fairfax though before I caught Dwight and we were joined moments later by Mojo who had stopped to deal with chain issues on White's Hill. Lower Marin again totally screwed with our pace and the many stops caused us to yo-yo rather than ride as a tight group. The climb up Corte Madera toward Camino Alto broke us up completely and I caught Crow waiting at the traffic light in Mill Valley and we rode the bike path back across the marsh by our selves. Crow could really spin on the flats but each incline would drop him back. The climb out of Sausalito toward the Golden Gate Bridge split us up completely. I passed Rita before the tunnel under Highway 101 and found my legs on the mostly empty west side path. The Presidio is undergoing all manner of reconstruction and the old, tried and true path down to Crissy Field was no longer open but I managed to go a block past the old left turn and take McDowell back to Mason and the flat run to the finish.

There was a large crowd of riders still at the finish, some of the very early arrivers and even more that had just finished before me. My time of 9 hours and 28 minutes was much, much better than the week before when it took me 10 hours and 15 minutes, and that time I had to really struggle to finish. I suspect I was already fighting the bug then that later had me in bed all day the Thursday before the Two Rock 200km, but on this day no hint of that cold was lingering. Oh yes, I can live with that. My treat upon finishing was a renewed appetite which allowed me to eat the remaining three quarters of that peanut butter blondie, and yes, it was goooood.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2007 PBP, Part 1: Arrival and departure

On the Sunday before the start of the 2007 Paris-Brest-Paris (PBP) Randonnee, a large number of Northern California riders gathered after the mandatory, but this year much abbreviated, bike inspection. We sat at a cafe, indoors alas, and tried to ignore the falling rain outside. My friend Reid made a waggish remark about the experience we were about to have. He said that doing Paris-Brest-Paris in the rain could be quite easily simulated at home by standing in a cold shower in bicycling clothing while ripping up $100 bills. I thought about this remark and in the the long, dark hours of the first night's ride through the French countryside, and with the rain beginning to pelt us once more, I came to the conclusion that the analogy was inadequate. What was missing in the comment was that it failed to include any mention of first having to stand in line to get into the cold shower. Having now commented on the inadequacies of the analogy (and pausing briefly to state that I completed

Where is Rob?

 Every four years, the Audax Club Parisien (ACP) will hold their Paris-Brest-Paris (or PBP) Randonneur event. There has been an amateur version of PBP since 1931. However, PBP has existed in some form since 1891, though back then it was a race, held about every 10 years until 1931 with a gap for the war, and then for the last time as a race in 1951. The take-away though is that PBP is no longer a race, there is no first and last place and the only metric to assess riders really is one of pass/fail. You either finish in the time limit, or you don't. Currently, PBP offers three start groups: 80 hours, 90 hours and 84 hours, in order of start. Each group will broken up into start waves with somewhere north of 200 (250?) riders in each wave. Under the direction of the ACP, Randonneurs USA (RUSA) sanctions qualifying events for PBP of 200, 300, 400 and 600km, each with a time limit. RUSA administers regions through out the US and there are five of those in Northern California, one in C

Cycling mileage spreadsheet (using google docs)

Several years back I was looking for a good way to keep track of my annual cycling mileage and a little Googling resulted in finding this website and it's link to a downloadabe Excel spreadsheet for keeping track of cycling mileage. Mark Pankin, who created that Excel doc annually updates the document and makes it available to the public. I think the document is great and I've used it for several years. One issue I did have with it though was gaining access to the document remotely. I kept it on my computer at home but sometimes I wanted to update it when I was not at home or just pull data from it, again when I wasn't at home. I had had some email exchanges with Mark to ask about certain features of his document and this led to a discussion about porting the document over to Google Docs. Mark was not a Google Docs user but he didn't mind at all if I created a document using his Excel spreadsheet as a model. While there is some ability to import and export Excel format