Skip to main content

Too early to plan 2010? Heck no!

In Northern California, we brevet riders are lucky in that we have four 'local' clubs putting on brevets which gives us lots of options. There are no less than 24 brevets on the tentitive calendar, a sortable table can be seen here as well as the static one below:

Tentative 2010 Northern California Brevet Schedule
Club Date Distance Start Location
San Francisco Randonneurs 1-23-2010 200km Golden Gate Bridge
2-6-2010 200km Golden Gate Bridge
2-27-2010 300km Golden Gate Bridge
3-27-2010 400km Golden Gate Bridge
4-3-2010 360km+ Various
4-25-2010 200km San Rafael
5-22-2010 600km Golden Gate Bridge
6-12-2010 230km Rodeo, CA
7-17-2010 115km Golden Gate Bridge
10-09-2010 200km Rodeo, CA
Santa Cruz Randonneurs 6-25-2010 1000km San Jose to Oxnard
7-24-2010 200km Santa Cruz
8-7-2010 200km Santa Cruz
8-21-2010 300km Santa Cruz
9-4-2010 400km Santa Cruz
9-25-2010 600km Santa Cruz
Santa Rosa Cyclists 3-13-2010 200km Healdsburg
4-10-2010 300km Healdsburg
5-8-2010 400km Healdsburg
6-5-2010 600km Healdsburg
Davis Bike Club 3-6-2010 200km Davis
3-20-2010 300km Davis
4-17-2010 400km Davis
4-30-2010 600km Davis

There should be something for just about every rider next year, and there is a possibility that there will be more events to add (think at least a Populaire or two). Interesting aspects to the calendar are: a night time 230km, a populaire, a brand new 1000km, a fall SR series which of course includes a 600km, a Sunday 200km for those that can't make Saturday starts.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Awesome, thanks!

Popular posts from this blog

Cycling mileage spreadsheet (using google docs)

Several years back I was looking for a good way to keep track of my annual cycling mileage and a little Googling resulted in finding this website and it's link to a downloadabe Excel spreadsheet for keeping track of cycling mileage. Mark Pankin, who created that Excel doc annually updates the document and makes it available to the public. I think the document is great and I've used it for several years. One issue I did have with it though was gaining access to the document remotely. I kept it on my computer at home but sometimes I wanted to update it when I was not at home or just pull data from it, again when I wasn't at home. I had had some email exchanges with Mark to ask about certain features of his document and this led to a discussion about porting the document over to Google Docs. Mark was not a Google Docs user but he didn't mind at all if I created a document using his Excel spreadsheet as a model. While there is some ability to import and export Excel format...

Beyond 449km

In the early 1980s, I did my cycling in Southeastern Michigan. The only club I belonged to was the Tri-County Bicycle Association . My long distance aspirations back then focused on the DALMAC ride, a four day event that ended the summer cycling season. The club one year gave priority for DALMAC applications to club members, so to assure my entry for DALMAC was accepted, I both joined the club and attended the February club meeting. For that meeting that year, a rider from nearby Illinois was brought in as guest speaker. He spoke about how he got started riding ever increasing distances on his bike, and as a boy 'distant' was whatever was beyond the water tower outside of town. Then it became riding far enough that the tower was no longer visible. By the time he appeared as the guest speaker for our club that year, Lon Haldeman had ridden across country several times, once setting the record for shortest elapsed time. There were no water towers in the town where I spent thos...

The SF-Mill Valley-SF-Healdsburg-SF 300+km brevet

This is a tale in which luck, both good and bad, plays a major role. At many points a rational person would question 'why do this'? It is at those points however that I would say we are most ill equipped to present a cogent response. Before I began riding brevets, I never really considered voluntarily riding in the rain, and after I began riding brevets my perspective changed to one where if it had to rain, I really wanted to be well out on the course before the rain began. The reasoning was that at that point I'd have no choice but to finish. In successive years I was given first hand experience testing out that perspective, first on a 200km brevet and later on a 300km brevet . So far as I could tell, it worked well enough to keep as a working perspective. Of the two brevets I've ridden this year, I now can say I have the supplemental experience of starting brevets in the rain and I can toss that old perspective out the window. Turns out each has it's upsides an...